What I'd like to see in Factorio
Useful (non-cheating) innovations
- I have a mod which temporarily lets you zoom super far out - this is amazing in that it gives you a much better sense of space usage than the minimap
- Taking high res huge screenshots using the console is really useful
- Long reach - the original game limits reach, because they don't want people to spend all their time manually inserting ingredients to factories - so they limit reach to force automation. The problem is, it makes building things a huge pain. If you just avoid manually loading, long reach mods are a definite improvement.
A missing optimization path
- It is really fun to untangle and straighten paths. But the game doesn't actually reward you for this.
- Imagine a new game mechanic: "loss". Every square of belt you move things on, 0.01% of the material disappears. Every bend, 0.02%. You lose more underground. With this mod, now having nice belt layouts really helps you. You could also reduce loss when there are multiple belts with the same things on them next to each other. Then, the work you do to keep things organized would actually improve efficiency, not just reduce cognitive load / OCD.
Usability / Charting
(There may be mods for these already)
- You should be able to ctl+click an assembler to go to the production history for that recipe in the chart view
- Chart view should have history (selected items & timescale)
- Chart view ordering should be in 2 columns rather than rows.
- Filters for type of item in chart view
- Line mouseovers should show the icon of the item they are related to
- Better explanation of the meaning of the numbers on the charts
- Consistent colors of lines in charts
- Meaning of colors in charts (at least for science) vs random every time
- When you mouseover a belt, a counter of items that pass and their rate should pop up - just ephemeral, for as long as you monitor it. That way you can easily figure out your production rate.
Are there speedruns for these?
- Kill 10k trees
- Kill 1m trees
- Launch 100 rockets, etc