Wechat has a feature where you can induct people into groups without their consent (up to 40 people). Then groups can grow up to 100. After 100 I believe wechat has some additional identity requirements for further members.
Beijing Pics, No Chat
This group has about 100 people and the only thing allowed is pictures from beijing. Anybody chatting is warned/removed.
- no chat, no links, no stickers, emojis, commentary
- better of the pics aren't ads
- personally i like photos that aren't just selfies / instagrams
- photos should relate to beijing somehow!
Numbers in Sequence
Pictures of numbers, in order starting with 1. We made it to 51 (and still going).
- chatting okay
- pictures okay
- better to have distinct numbers (not part of a greater number)
- better if the pictures are interesting
- no "cheap" sequences (i.e. walking on a street getting every single number in order)
- creativity is welcome (obviously) so if a naturally occuring situation has two numbers in a row (someone wearing a jersey saying 23, next to a street sign numbered 24, it works.
Letters in Sequence
An idea for a new group - same as numbers in sequence but:
- entries are the letters. A..Z, then AA, AB, AC, ... AZ, BA..., ..., ZZ, AAA, ... etc.
- I will save entries & make a page of them
- partial entries are okay (the a from "cat")
- it would be nice if the picture is interesting
- it is nice if the crop doesn't contain extra letters before/after (but you can zoom in to do that)
- just typing letters on a screen, or searching on google and then taking a picture of the screen, are kind of cheap.
- no chat
- pictures of maps only
- maps can be interpreted liberally
- Kindle pages
- screenshots of things you're reading
- no multipage entries
I'm trying to avoid "legalism" - that is, pressure to clearly define rules and limits. I think for small groups, it's a lot more fun when people don't try to push it. It's better that they use their own conscience to decide what is good. Same thing for deciding what kind of content belongs in a group.
Reality is anarchy. No matter what someone says, you can actually do what you like. But, people with power can do what they like too. I think it's helpful to remember that no matter what the rules, you can always do what you like; but you're bumping into someone else's precommitment to punish you.